WHITE COAT CEREMONY
The White Coat Ceremony is a time-honored event that marks the official entrance of matriculating AUC students into medical school and the medical profession. In the presence of family and friends, students receive their first white coat—a symbol of bestowed trust to carry on the tradition of doctoring.
A TRADITION TO WELCOME INCOMING MD STUDENTS TO AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF THE CARIBBEAN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AND THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.
VIRTUAL WHITE COAT CEREMONY
FRIDAY, FEBUARY 5, 2021
3:30 PM EASTERN, LIVE BROADCAST
AUC School of Medicine invites you to join our White Coat Ceremony on Friday, February 5, 2021 at 3:30pm ET | 4:30pm AST. This time-honored event marks your official entrance into medical school and your commitment to the profession of medicine.
With the COVID-19 pandemic changing how our usual celebrations and rituals are conducted, this semester’s ceremony will be hosted online. We look forward to celebrating this important tradition with you virtually.
VIRTUAL WHITE COAT CEREMONY INFORMATION
Nirmish Ramesh Shah, MD
Dr. Shah is an Associate Professor with a joint appointment between the Division of Adult Hematology and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at Duke University. He is focused on both the care and research of both pediatric and adult patients with sickle cell disease (SCD). Dr. Shah's specific emphasis on clinical and translational research, focusing on novel therapeutic interventions, the transition from pediatrics to adult, and exploring the use of mobile technology for patients with SCD. His previous formal training and clinical experience during medicine/pediatrics residency, adult hematology/oncology fellowship, and pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship, has provided him with a strong foundation to pursue these interests.
Dr. Shah is also the Director of Clinical Research in Benign Hematology and focuses on SCD research; leading multiple sponsor, NIH, and investigator-initiated studies. He has focused much of his effort on collaboration with multiple investigators and integrating mobile health applications and wearable devices into healthcare studies. Over the past five years, he has been successful at securing multiple funding sources to support each of his research efforts. These awards include an increasing focus on technology, collaboration, and mentoring. He has worked closely with Sicklesoft to developed disease-specific mobile apps to obtain subjective symptoms, use wearables devices to passively acquire objective data, and explore various analytic methods to understand and predict outcomes. Importantly, his collaboration for the recently developed oncology-focused mobile application (TRU-Onc) and previously developed apps (TRU-BMT, TRU-PBMT, and TRU-SCD) have been designed with input from patients, families, and providers. The apps and wearable studies have been performed successfully at five academic institutions in various research studies and led to numerous publications.
"We will always look back to our time at AUC with smile. It is amazing how much support we got from all the friends we made and thankful for the path it led us down."
1. Purchase your white coat as soon as possible. White Coats are available for purchase online via the University Bookstore, or on campus in Sint Maarten:
- Purchase your white coat on campus in Sint Maarten at the Campus Service Center.
- To purchase your white coat online, visit bookstore.aucmed.edu and log in with your student email and password. You can create a new account if needed.
- Select the “White Coat Ceremony” course under the February 2021 Courses header.
- Choose your gender and coat size using the size chart as guidance.
- Ensure you enter your current address for delivery. Keep in mind that orders ship from the US, and international shipping charges will apply for orders being delivered outside of the US. For students who are based in Sint Maarten purchasing from the Campus Service Center may be the best option.
2. Submit your photo and a recording of your name.
To be able to honor each of you individually at our virtual White Coat ceremony, we would like to showcase your photos during the live event. You will receive an email (to your AUC email account) from our partners at Name Coach. Please follow the instructions in that email, and upload your photo and a recording of your name by Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
- Photos should be headshots (taken from the waist up), in business formal attire and your White Coat.
- Hold your camera or phone horizontally so your photo is landscape and make sure you are in a well-lit area and against a plain background.
- If you are unable to get your white coat in time, please submit a photo in business formal attire.
- Please note that only students who submit their name and/or photo via Name Coach will be featured in our virtual presentation during the ceremony.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].