The first stop on the way to earning your MD
White Coat Ceremony
A tradition to welcome incoming MD students to American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine and the medical profession.
The White Coat Ceremony is a time-honored event that marks the official entrance of matriculating AUC students into medical school and the medical profession. In the presence of family and friends, students receive their first white coat—a symbol of bestowed trust to carry on the tradition of doctoring.
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, this semester’s ceremony will be hosted virtually, however, AUC will hold a second smaller ceremony once all students are back on campus. Our goal is to ensure you get the full experience of this important ritual.
Virtual White Coat Ceremony
Friday, June 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm EDT/AST
Join Live from Zoom, Facebook or YouTube
Virtual White Coat Ceremony Information
AUC graduate Dr. Douglas Sborov (Class of '09) has been named the keynote speaker for the upcoming White Coat Ceremony.
Dr. Sborov is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Hematology and Hematologic Malignancies at the University of Utah School of Medicine's Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Director of the university's Multiple Myeloma Program. He has lead numerous clinical trials on targeted and immunologic therapies for patients with hematologic malignancies and currently serves as principal investigator on 10 different phase 1-3 trials. His research has been widely published and he has been invited to speak at numerous conferences and international meetings.
“AUC provided me the incredible opportunity to live out my dream of being a physician,” says Dr. Sborov. “The friendships and lessons learned during my time on the island are irreplaceable and provided me a strong foundation for a career in malignant hematology.”
Family and friends will be invited to join a live broadcast of the ceremony and a recording will be made available following the live event.
Broadcast Link: https://zoom.us/j/93271184500
*Use this link to join from a computer. You can also call in from a telephone by dialing +1-312-626-6799 from the United States (international numbers available here) and using the webinar ID 932-7118-4500
1. Please order your white coat from our University Bookstore as soon as possible. Students should try to have their coat delivered by Monday, May 25 in order to submit a photo (see #2) and be ready for the virtual ceremony.
- Visit bookstore.aucmed.edu and log in with your student email and password. You can create a new account if needed.
- Select the “White Coat Ceremony” course under the May 2020 Courses header.
- Choose your gender and coat size using the size chart as guidance.
- Make sure your order is sent to your current address.
2. Upload a high-resolution headshot (waist up in business formal attire and your White Coat) to Dropbox by 8:00 pm EDT/AST on Wednesday, May 27.
- Hold your camera or phone horizontally so your photo is landscape and make sure you are in a well-lit area and against a plain background.
- If your White Coat doesn’t arrive in time, please submit a photo in business formal attire.
We look forward to celebrating this special occasion and bestowing on you the trust to carry on the tradition of doctoring! Please continue to monitor your email for additional details.