QUALIFYING FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL
AUC's Admissions Committee considers many factors when reviewing an applicant for consideration. Qualifying for medical school includes undergraduate performance and MCAT score, as well as intellectual and social maturity, critical judgment, adaptability, volunteer work, and life experiences, and graduate school performance (if applicable). Evaluation for admission is conducted on an individual basis. We encourage all applicants to speak with a member of our admissions team to discuss their opportunity to attend AUC, including the competitiveness of their MCAT scores, GPA and other medical school requirements.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL?
A minimum of one letter from an individual academic professor who taught you (science preferred, but not required), and one professional letter.
- A pre-medical advisory committee letter (if applicable) meets the admissions requirement in lieu of the one academic and one professional letters.
- Two academic letters can be submitted if a professional letter cannot be obtained.
- Two professional letters can be submitted on a case by case basis for consideration with an exception request if an academic letter cannot be obtained.
A personal statement, no longer than 750 words. AMCAS personal statements are accepted.
A chronological history of your educational, employment, and volunteer experience dating back to high school.
- This requirement can be met with a CV or resume
Official transcripts from all schools attended. For foreign schools, notarized copies of the original transcripts may be directed to AUC when official transcripts are not readily available. However, official transcripts must follow the notarized copies prior to matriculation. Please note that all foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credentialing service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of credentialing members can be found at www.naces.org.
- Citizens or Permanent Residents of the US: MCAT
- Non-US Citizens or Permanent Residents: MCAT or UCAT or NEET or GAMSAT
WHAT CLASSES ARE REQUIRED FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL?
MEDICAL SCHOOL PREREQUISITES
- Biology: 1 year (8 credit hours), including laboratory
- General Chemistry: 1 year (8 credit hours), including laboratory
- Organic Chemistry: 1 year (8 credit hours), including laboratory. Biochemistry can be used to substitute for organic chemistry.
- General Physics: 1 semester (4 credit hours), including laboratory. Statistics or Calculus can be substituted for Physics.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS CAN BE SENT TO:
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
Department of Admissions
880 SW 145th Avenue, Suite 202
Pembroke Pines, FL 33027