MEDICAL SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS
AUC's Admissions Committee considers many factors when reviewing an applicant for acceptance to medical school. Our MD program is open to qualified candidates with a first degree, minimum Bachelor’s or equivalent, in any discipline (science-focused study preferable but not mandatory), from an accredited university. We encourage all applicants to speak with a member of our admissions team to discuss their opportunity to attend AUC, including the competitiveness of their MCAT scores, GPA and other medical school requirements.
MEDICAL SCHOOL PREREQUISITES
A bachelor’s degree with a strong science background is a medical school prerequisite. Below are the required courses for med school.
- Biology: 1 year (8 credit hours)
- General Chemistry: 1 year (8 credit hours)
- Organic Chemistry†: 1 year (8 credit hours)
- General Physics*: 1 semester (4 credit hours)
All course include laboratory
* Statistics or Calculus can be substituted for Physics.
† Biochemistry can be used to substitute for Organic Chemistry.
MEDICAL ADMISSIONS TEST
- U.S. citizens/permanent residents will need to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).
- Non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents: MCAT, UCAT, NEET/UG, or GAMSAT.
Please note that AUC will not consider MCAT, UCAT, and NEET scores that are more than five years old. For the GAMSAT, only scores that are less than two years old will be considered.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE MEDICAL SCHOOL REQUIREMENT
Part of the med school requirements for non-native English speakers, or applicants who graduated from institutions in which the education is not delivered in English, or as requested by the Admissions Committee if deemed necessary to assess success at AUC School of Medicine. One of two exams may be taken:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): AUC School of Medicine recommends scores equivalent to 6.0 in all areas.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): AUC School of Medicine recommends an overall score of 75
EDUCATIONAL AND EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Med school requirements include a chronological history of your educational, employment, and volunteer experience dating back to high school.
- CV or Resume
MEDICAL SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS - SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Medical school requirements include a personal statement and letters of recommendation. Below are the details of the supporting documents to fulfill our medical school admission requirements.
- Personal Statement of no longer than 750 words. AMCAS personal statements are accepted.
- Letters of Recommendation: A minimum of one letter from an individual academic professor who taught you (science preferred, but not required), and one professional letter.
- A pre-medical advisory committee letter (if applicable) meets the admissions requirement in lieu of the one academic and one professional letters.
- Two academic letters can be submitted if a professional letter cannot be obtained.
- Two professional letters can be submitted on a case by case basis for consideration with an exception request if an academic letter cannot be obtained.
Medical school requirements include official transcripts from all schools attended. Notarized copies of the original transcripts may be directed to AUC School of Medicine when official transcripts are not readily available. However, official transcripts must follow the notarized copies prior to matriculation.
Please note that all foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credentialing service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of credentialing members can be found at www.naces.org.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS CAN BE SENT TO:
American University of the Caribbean
School of Medicine
Department of Admissions
880 SW 145th Avenue, Suite 202
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33027, USA