Caribbean Center for Disaster Medicine
A center of excellence designed to foster collaboration among professionals responsible for healthcare delivery, disaster preparedness, emergency response, and medical education
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) is developing the Caribbean Center for Disaster Medicine (CCDM), a center of excellence designed to foster collaboration among professionals responsible for healthcare delivery, disaster preparedness, emergency response, and medical education. The center is being developed in cooperation with Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (HMFP), a physician group that includes Harvard Medical School faculty with global disaster medicine experience.
Purpose of the Center
Within the last few years, the devastation from powerful hurricanes like Irma and Maria have emphasized the need to continually improve preparedness for major disasters and emergencies. AUC and HMFP saw the opportunity to join with partners throughout the Caribbean to enhance disaster preparedness, with an emphasis on preparing healthcare professionals to play a lead role. Through the Center, we seek to create collaborations and programs that are relevant to the region's needs and draw upon knowledge and expertise from around the world.
2019 International Conference on Disaster Medicine and Hurricane Resiliency
In March 2019, we held our inaugural Continuing Medical Education conference on the AUC campus in Sint Maarten. Over 280 professionals representing every corner of disaster medicine and emergency management attended. View the Conference Summary to learn more about the event and sessions.
Planned Activities of the Center
- Collaborations with governments, academic institutions, healthcare delivery institutions, and other groups involved in emergency preparedness and response
- Continuing education, professional development, and training programs
- Advisory services to improve operational capacity
- Academic exchanges involving faculty and medical students
- Conference and symposia
- American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
- Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center